Friday, July 22, 2011

New Toy

For a couple of years now I have wanted to get a road bike.  I like how fast and easy they looked.  I liked how in newer models, the shifters weren't down on the main support bar, but integrated into the brakes.  I thought that it would be way easy to get around places on a road bike than on a mountain bike.

Since we moved to Albuquerque we have only had one car.  I used that as a good excuse to go to a couple different bike shops in town and look at different bikes.  There was one that I decided that I liked, and after mulling it over in my head for a couple weeks, we went out and bought it today.  It is called the Raleigh Revenio 3.0.

Here is a picture of it.




 For some bike jibberish jargon: It has a carbon front fork (supposedly it's lighter and dampens road vibration). It has a 56 cm frame (because I am fairly tall). It has a Shimano 105 10 speed gear and brake set (the 105 is either one or two steps down from the top of the line professional quality).  It is an aluminum frame, so overall it is pretty light.  I am happy with it.

I also got some snazzy bike shoes for clip pedals.  I didn't put the pedals on, because apparently there is kind of a steep learning curve and I didn't want to fall over like a dummy with my brand new bike.   Maybe once I've ridden it a couple times I will be brave enough to try the clip pedals.  I decided to wait some before buying any other biking clothes, like spandex biker shorts or a jersey with pockets in the back, but don't worry... I promise that I won't post any pictures of me wearing them on here.  My next accessory priority is a pair of sunglasses, then probably some shorts with padding, then maybe a trunk rack for the car.  I possibly also want, but haven't decided on a little rack on the bike and some panniers. Also maybe some splash guards for in Pittsburgh, but I feel those last things might make it look pretty lame.

So far I have ridden it about four and a half miles.  I road it home from the bike shop (about half a mile). After dinner tonight we decided that we needed more hand soap and body wash.  I wanted to ride my bike, so instead of driving or walking to Smith's, which is just around the corner, I decided to ride to Target, which is almost exactly two miles away.    A soon as I walked out the front door of our house, there was a big thunder clap and a downpour started.  I almost went back inside, but the rain felt so nice because its been very dry here lately.  So I decided to just go anyways.  The way there is almost all downhill, so it was pretty easy.  The water from the road that splashed me was super warm from being on the hot road, so it was kind of like a shower, except the water came from the bottom instead of the top.  I was pretty wet when I got to Target, so that was fun.  The rain had mostly stopped by the time I headed home.  The little bit of uphill on the way home helped me to realize how out of shape I was.  I guess thats what I get for choosing a job where I just sit at a computer all day.  Hopefully the bike will help me get better exercise.

One of the big things that I wanted to get a bike to do was to ride to work.  The route that the guy at the bike shop suggested is thirteen miles.  It is a little longer than the direct way, but it is on special bike paths that are completely separate from the road the whole way (except when it has to cross the streets, of course).  The first three miles would be a little bit uphill, but not too bad, and then basically ten miles of flat or downhill.  On the way home, the upwards part would be long, but not very steep at all, so it might be a decent way to go.  The more direct route would be about 9.5 miles, and is most of the time on roads that have dedicated bike lanes right next to the normal traffic lanes.  This route also would avoid some of the hills.  I guess I will just have to try them both out, as well as explore other routes to se what I like best or to change up the scenery.  I am hoping that I can make it to and from work in between 45 minutes and an hour.  I normally spend about half an hour in the car, so it isn't ridiculously longer, and I get more exercise, which will be good for me.  Right now my plan is to wear athletic clothes and take a weeks worth of work clothes in a backpack on Monday.  Then I can just ride to work, change my clothes, work nine hours, change my clothes, and ride home.  On Fridays I will bring my clothes home and choose some new ones for the next week.  We'll see how this plan works out.

Our house in Pittsburgh is about two miles from campus.  That will be a nice ride, and it will leave Lindsay with the car if she needs it for any reason.  In the later fall and winter I will have to decided between walking, riding the shuttle (which has a stop about a block from our house), or riding my bike. I have heard somewhat conflicting winter weather reports, so it will be interesting to see what makes the most sense.

The people at many of the bike shops asked me if I planned on doing any competition.  I don't think I will ever get too much into racing, but I can see myself doing some shorter triathlons and stuff like that.  I also have a little bit of desire to do LOTOJA, but I don't know.  There is a big difference between the four and a half miles I have done on my new bike and the 186 miles between Logan and Jackson.

Sorry that this is so long and rambly, but you didn't have to read any more of it than you didn't have to read any more of it than you wanted, so whatever.

2 comments:

Mindy said...

Thanks for blogging! I love to hear from you. Your bike looks fun. We got a used bike from Craigslist and a new bike from the store and we're wishing we had just bought two new bikes, the good shifters, brakes and other features make quite a difference. You might want to take something to give yourself a spongebath or something when you get to work - you might get pretty sweaty.

Annette said...

Looks great. I'm glad you finally made a choice. It sounds like it will be a great way to get into shape and a nice ride.